Our History

College of Continuing Studies Centennial logo

  • 1919
  • Extension Division Was Established

    Men working in an industrial setting

    A budget of $5,000 was allocated by the Alabama State Legislature to establish the Extension Division of the University of Alabama.

  • Extension Division Leader from 1919-1930

    James S. Thomas headshot

    James S. Thomas led the Extension Division from 1919-1930.

  • 1928
  • Extension Division

    Dr. Wyatt Blasingame headshot

    Dr. Blasingame served the Extension Division from 1928-1945.

  • 1930
  • Extension Division

    Dr. Robert Tidwell headshot

    Dr. Tidwell became Director of the Extension Division and later its first Dean from 1930-1954.

 

  • 1940
  • Correspondence Courses Growth

    Correspondence courses article at Extension News Bulletin

    Correspondence courses grew rapidly starting in 1929 to 2,800 students by 1951.

  • 1947
  • UA Gadsden Center

    UA Gadsden Center building

    The UA Gadsden Center opened in 1947 to serve the growing number of college students on the GI Bill.

 

  • 1954
  • CCS Dean from 1954-1969

    John R. Morton headshot

    John R. Morton served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 1954-1969.

 

  • 1960
  • Educational TV Studio

    Broadcaster Douglas Edwards in the Educational TV Studio C.

    Starting in 1960, UA became a national leader in educational television.

 

  • 1969
  • CCS Dean from 1969-1975

    Galen N. Drewery headshot

    Galen N. Drewery served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 1969-1975.

  • 1970
  • Off Campus Graduate Programs

    Graduate programs announcement

    Graduate programs were offered off campus for the first time starting in Fall 1970.

 

  • 1975
  • CCS Dean from 1975-1983

    William B. Bryan Headshot

    William B. Bryant served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 1975-1983.

  • 1980
  • UA Safe State

    Safe State old logo featuring the state of alabama and the program's name in crimson color

    UA Safe State occupational health and safety programs become part of the College.

  • CCS Dean from 1983-1989

    Dennis P. Prisk headshot

    Dennis P. Prisk served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 1983-1989.

 

  • 1987
  • Bryant Conference Center

    President Joab Thomas at the ground breaking for the Bryant Conference Center.

    The Bryant Conference Center opened October 30, 1987.

 

  • 1990
  • CCS Dean from 1990-2001

    John C. Snider headshot

    John C. Snider served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 1990-2001.

 

  • 1991
  • UA Evening Programs

    Billboard announcing UA Evening Programs

    Evening programs began in the Fall of 1991.

  • 2000
  • QUEST

    Two people using the QUEST room controls

    Starting in 1991, the QUEST program distributed video-based courses to students throughout the state.

 

  • 2001
  • CCS Dean from 2001-2013

    Carolyn C. Dahl headshot

    Carolyn C. Dahl served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 2001-2013.

  • 2013
  • CCS Interim Dean from 2013-2015

    Rebecca Pow headshotRebecca Pow served as interim dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 2013-2015.

 

  • 2015
  • CCS Dean from 2015-2018

    Craig S. Edelbrock headshot

    Craig S. Edelbrock served as dean of the College of Continuing Studies from 2015-2018.

  • 2018
  • CCS Interim Dean 2018- Present

    Jonathon Halbesleben headshot

    Jonathon Halbesleben serves as interim dean for the College of Continuing Studies since 2018.